Vegan, Gluten Free
This used to be one of my favourite spreads to put on my toast, pancakes or even to simply devour from the jar. When I went vegan, there were a lot of things that I was sad that I wouldn’t be able to eat anymore, simply because of the flavour -but- it is easier than you think to make a vegan alternative and of course, it will be healthier!
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar/agave/rice malt syrup (any sweetener)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place hazelnuts on a lined baking tray and toast for 10 minutes or until lightly colored and skins are blistered.
- Wrap nuts in a kitchen towel and let steam 1 minute. Rub nuts in towel to remove loose skins (don’t worry about skins that don’t completely come off) and let cool.
- Add hazelnuts to blender and process until you reach a sticky dough consistency (like a nut butter).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until you get a smooth, creamy, thick chocolate spread.
- Add more milk or coconut oil for a thinner consistency.
Serve with pancakes, porridge, cakes, slices.. or simply enjoy on it’s own!
If you choose to re-create any of my recipes please tag me on Instagram or Facebook #veganwithbambi so I can see! 🙂