Fragrant, spicy, easy to make and SO nutritious, this dish is great anytime for a satisfying meal! So, this is not the most attractive photo I know, but woah did this meal tick all the boxes. The recipe isn’t too spicy, so you can add more if you’re really into your spice however if you’re not, I think this should do you just fine. Also, it seems like a lot of garlic and onions however, this recipe does make a lot meals. It will keep in the fridge or freezer for as long as you need so that your dinners for the week are set!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 small brown onions, diced
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tumeric powder
- 1.5 tsp chilli powder (or fresh chillies)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups red lentils, uncooked
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
1. Cook the onions, ginger and garlic in the coconut oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the lentils, spices, coconut milk and water.
3. Cook for 15 minutes and then add sweet potato and chickpeas and cook for a further 30-35 minutes.
4. Once the lentils have thickened, remove from heat and serve.
Enjoy with brown rice and roti!
If you choose to re-create any of my recipes please tag me on Instagram or Facebook #veganwithbambi so I can see! 🙂